It is time for you to try out a different drink. A chai latte might be what you need. I know the question going through your mind is what does chai latte taste like? Stay calm! We shall get there in a short while.
Chai latte is sweet and oftentimes a little spicy when mixed with nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper. Because many chai lattes are made with vanilla, it’s so easy to notice the flavor. Because of the concentration, chai latte’s flavor is richer than chai tea.
Nonetheless, recipes for chai latte vary significantly. Therefore, you may experience a change in taste depending on who has prepared it and the ingredients used. Generally, the first thing you will taste is the whipped cream on top that is sweet. Then comes the taste of warm cinnamon-spiced milk.
This article addresses questions on, what is chai latte? How is it prepared? What does chai latte taste like, and why is it good for you. Read on to learn more.
What is Chai Latte?
A Chai Latte is also known as a chai tea latte. It is a hot, milky, and gently spicy tea-based drink popular in many coffee and tea houses across the globe. Despite being named latte and sold in coffee houses, the drink contains no coffee whatsoever.
The term chai originated in India many years ago. It comes from the Chinese word cha, to mean tea. Chai latte has gained popularity worldwide, and many coffee shops have it on their menus. The tea takes the flavors that are associated with masala chai.
How Do You Prepare a Chai Latte?
The recipes for making chai latte differ from one coffee house to another. Basically, the main ingredients are:
- Black tea.
- Spices. They include cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, black pepper, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Sweeteners. You can use sugar or sugar syrup to sweeten your chai latte. However, they are optional.
The equipment to use are:
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Medium saucepan
- Fine-mesh strainer
- A rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- Teapot or water jug
What Is The Best Tea for Chai Latte?
The most suitable for brewing chai latte is the loose-leaf black tea. You prepare it with Ceylon tea or Assam. Generally, loose-leaf tea has higher quality compared to bags. The tea also contains large pieces and less dust.
How Do You Froth Latte Milk?
You must froth your milk if you need to have a classic cup of chai latte. There are four ways you can use to froth your milk. They include:
- Using an espresso machine. You place the steam wand in the milk.
- Whisking the milk. Vigorously whisk the milk while you heat it
- Blending the milk. The method is most suitable for non-dairy milk such as almond and soy milk. After frothing the milk in an immersion blender, you heat it on a saucepan.
- Shake the milk. You use a jar to shake the milk, then heat it post-frothing.
Chai Latte Preparation Steps
- Toast the spices – Take peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and any other spices you wish to use and place them in a saucepan. Toast over medium heat. Make sure that you shake the pan occasionally until they are sweet-scented. It takes three to four minutes for them to be fragrant.
- Brew your tea – Put water and ginger in a saucepan. Allow it to simmer for 5 minutes. Coffee and tea houses use the espresso machine to heat the tea.
- Steep the tea -Get your tea from heat. Add to it teabag or loose-leaf tea and cover for ten minutes.
- Sweeten the tea – Add your preferred sweetener to the tea while it is still hot, and stir until it completely dissolves.
- Strain your tea – Use a fine-mesh strainer to strain your tea into a water jug or teapot.
- Froth the milk – You can froth whole milk by whisking it, shaking the milk in a jar, or use an espresso machine if you have access to one. Make use of an immersion blender to froth non-dairy milk before heating.
- Heat the milk – Take your frothed milk and heat it using an espresso machine or on a small saucepan under low heat until it gets warm.
- Serve – Pour warm tea base to reach ¾ of the mug. Add to it ½ warmed milk cup and stir to mix. Fill it with the froth of milk.
Note: You can make the tea base five days in advance, place it in an airtight container, and store it in the refrigerator. Remember to reheat the tea base gently before frothing the milk for a chai latte.
Why Does Chai Latte Taste Differently?
House recipes for chai latte significantly vary. Various people and coffee houses have their way of preparing it. Therefore, the taste depends on who prepares the chai latte. Additionally, you can attribute the change in flavor to the added sweeteners, use of non-dairy milk, and fat content of the milk you use.
Basically, chai latte has a sweet and spicy taste coupled with a creamy texture. That’s because of the ingredients. They include milk, black tea leaves, sugar, and many aromatic spices.
The majority of tea lovers use the words chai tea and chai latte interchangeably. However, you prepare the two drinks differently. The taste of chai latte is relatively sweeter than chai tea. Chai latte also contains a noticeably rich flavor. That’s because you brew it with concentrated spiced tea.
The beverage has an airy layer of foam on its top, which gives it a creamy texture and rich characteristics. However, it largely depends on the type of steamed milk you decide to use.
For example, the use of dense plant-based milk like cashew nut milk will lead to a thick foamy texture. On the other hand, light plant-based milk such as soy milk makes a lighter texture for a chai latte.
Why is Chai Latte Good For You?
- It is the ultimate warm, comforting, and delicious drink to take any time.
- It is an excellent source of antioxidants.
- The drink reduces cancer risks. That’s due to the spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. They have antioxidants that prevent cancer.
- Chai latte prevents colds. The ginger in the drink boosts the gut and immune system.
- Black tea in chai latte help enhances natural energy production in the body.
- Help prevent diabetes by regulating the blood sugar levels in the body.
- The spices in chai latte enhance digestive health and reduce bloating.
If you are wondering what a chai latte tastes like, hurry and try it out. It is one of the sweetest drinks to take at any time. The steps to making it are pretty simple. Besides, the drink has natural ingredients that are good for your health and overall wellbeing. Therefore, I recommend it to everyone.